At Key Stage 3 students learn follow the national curriculum and taught to:
- understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation
- analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems
- evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems
- be responsible, competent, confident and creative users of information and communication technology.
More specifically, the learn about components of a computer system, how to think like computer scientist, how the web works and web page creation, creating animation, using spreadsheets and databases computer programming.
In Year 7 students learn about:
- Introduction to computer systems
- Scratch programming
- Spreadsheets concepts
- Drawing and manipulating shapes
In Year 8 students learn about:
- Programming using Python
- Prototype mobile app development
- Advanced spreadsheet concepts
- Web development using HTML